(Click HERE to read our Popcorn recipe!)
Traditionally popcorn is popped with canola oil or plain old vegetable oil. But using unrefined virgin coconut oil instead will give your popcorn a slightly tropical taste that’s both intriguing and delicious.
Virgin coconut oil is an amazing all purpose cooking oil that you can consume. In fact, coconut oil weight loss is becoming a thriving industry. But there are more ways to get this delicious oil into your diet than through popcorn alone. Here are 5 great ways to use it in cooking so you can be as healthy and happy as possible.
- Stir-Fry Meals–Yes, you can use solid coconut oil in stir-fries. As with any cooking, organic coconut oil is best, because it’s made from coconuts grown without chemical pesticides or fertilizers, so it will be healthier for you. It doesn’t matter what kind of stir-fry you’re making, you can use this oil in it, though its tropical taste naturally lends itself to dishes including tropical ingredients such as pineapple, mango, and banana. Note if you add some sea salt or herbs or garlic it will reduce the coconut flavor and bring out the high notes of the dish or herbs you have added.
- In homemade ice cream–If you have an ice cream maker, you can make the best coconut ice cream in the world with coconut oil. All you need to know is where to buy coconut oil and how to crank an ice cream maker. Most coconut oil for sale is available at grocery and health food stores, so it’s not too hard to find. Mix the oil with coconut water and stir in flaked coconut flesh, and you’ve got a taste sensation that can’t be beat.
- In baking –In place of butter, try coconut oil. You’ll be surprised at how rich and moist your cupcakes, pie crusts, cakes, and muffins come out. You can use it in place of butter measure for measure, and it tastes delicious.
- In homemade granola — Every good homemade granola dish needs some oil, and butter or canola oil is usually the choice. Try melting some coconut oil to liquid state and mix in with your granola concoction before baking it, and you’ll be amazed at the scrumptious results.
- On salads –This is a great choice if you’re making your own dressing. A little olive oil and vinegar gets a healthy and tasty boost by the addition of some melted organic coconut oil. Your salad dressing will taste richer, and the salad overall will be much healthier. Give it a try and see what a difference it makes in your health and your way of cooking.