Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, but what I eat for breakfast these days looks much different than it did several years ago.
The things I love for breakfast have not changed, but the way in which I make them has changed quite a lot. I’ve always been a pancake, waffle, french toast and muffin kind of girl. Sugar plus “cake” and “carb” for breakfast was my heaven. That was until 2008, when I was diagnosed with Colitis and chose to feel better and heal my gut with food and lifestyle changes instead of drugs and medication. I took it upon myself to re-invent everything I fed my body, with the hopes of healing while still eating in the most delicious way possible.
I taught myself to cook and bake, and I have spent hundreds (if not thousands) of hours in the kitchen practicing with ingredients that were new to me, including coconut flour.
These days, I am nourished by a purely unprocessed diet. I eat whole foods just as they were intended to be eaten or I combine those whole foods to create delicious recipes for my family, friends, and the A Gutsy Girl community.
Today I’m sharing a breakfast idea with you:
Plantain Breakfast Poppers
made with coconut oil & coconut flour
• 2 large plantains or banana, sliced
• 2 eggs
• 2 egg whites
• ½ tsp. baking soda
• 2 tbsp. Nutiva Organic Coconut Flour
• 2 tbsp. + ~1 tsp. Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil, melted
• 1.5 tbsp. cinnamon
• 2 tsp. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
• ½ tbsp. ginger, minced
• 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place all the ingredients, except for the Coconut Oil, in a food processor.
3. Melt 2 tbsp. Coconut Oil, and then add it to the other ingredients in the food processor.
4. Mix all ingredients together until mixture becomes smooth.
5. Melt the other ~1tsp. Coconut Oil and brush your “Popper” pan with it. (I use a Cake Pop pan. You can also use a mini muffin pan.)
6. Fill the cups with batter, about ¾’s full in each.
7. Place in oven and bake for 10-15 minutes. (Note: Watch them closely for the last 5 minutes, as every baking experience and oven is different.)
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
9. Pop each Popper out, and enjoy!
Because these have no added sugar, you can dip them in any topping you like! We love them with: Organic Coconut Nectar, Organic Raw Honey or a little (melted) Nutiva Organic Coconut Manna.